Howard Bloom on 13 Sep 2004 06:44:02 -0000

RE: [PLUG] More critique of Linux desktop

Art Alexion wrote:
> Article from The Register.  This one says Linux ready for the desktop
> in two years...

http://www.theregister.com/2004/09/10/butler_on_enterprise_linux/print.html

And this excerpt:

"And it's clear about the alternative to acquiring some: "For those
organisations that can reconcile themselves with being locked into one
vendor for the majority of the software stack then Microsoft is a valid
option. What the emergence of Linux has done is to provide an alternative
and while not yet up to the sophistication of Windows, it offers a flexible
platform strategy that many will want to adopt over the next five years."

Makes my point, that Linux on the desktop isn't there yet.  I purchased the
Xandros Business Desktop and ended up putting it on a friends PC due to it
getting hosed by spyware.  He loves it but his use is very unsophisticated.
He browses, sends email and writes the odd letter or two, but nothing more.
He thinks Linux is great.

If I tried to run my business on it, I would not be able to do so.

Here a case in point:  I use Office 2003.  I also use ACT!.  Well, there is
no ACT! For Linux and if I want to use Crossover - I have to go back in my
Office applications.  Outlook 2003 is a very good product and I live in it.
The previous versions were also good, but had no stability.  So to run Linux
I have to go backwards.  I also have to give up ACT since it is running SQL
and is never going to work in Linux - not as it is written.

So instead of ACT/Outlook I get Mozilla/Nothing.

Again, I'd prefer to ride in a Town Car instead of the Pinto.