Malcolm on 15 Sep 2004 16:52:03 -0000

[PLUG] per process bandwidth limitation?

I'm trying to work out if it's possible to limit bandwidth usage on a per
process level under linux, but haven't found anything in my searches so I
figured I'd ask here.

I found documentation on rate limiting per protocol (eg. no more than 80%
http), or cumulative (eg. don't exceed more than 1Mbs) and other QoS type
things.

However what I need to do is run a collection of identical processes each of
which is limited to a fixed maximum (I'm trying to simulate load from what
will be a significant number of machines on dialup connections without
actually having a few hundred machines to run the test with).

I do have control over the software, so if there isn't a system level control
available I can edit things, however all the software side solutions I've
found are 'bursty' - any one connection can exceed the limits for short
periods of time (whatever your time interval is, and two short an interval
distorts the traffic as well as you end up sending more smaller packets), and
as the communications in question are bursty in nature this distorts the
test.

Anyone got any pointers as to where to look? (google has not  helped for
once).

--
We are the faith of your tomorrows
let us breathe, let us see, let us be.