Art Alexion on 17 Sep 2004 14:14:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] deadkeys

Kevin Carruthers wrote:

On Thu, 2004-09-16 at 20:15, Art Alexion wrote:

Kevin Carruthers wrote:

Here is the keyboard section

   # To set the LeftAlt to Meta, RightAlt key to ModeShift,
   # RightCtl key to Compose, and ScrollLock key to ModeLock:

LeftAlt Meta
RightAlt Meta

Change to: RightAlt ModeShift

       ScrollLock      Compose
       RightCtl        Control

# If you have a US Microsoft Natural keyboard, you can use:
# XkbModel "microsoft"
#

   EndSection

The Mode_switch key (sometimes called AltGr) is similar to shift. Between the two modifiers you can assign upto 4 characters per key.

X allows you to map any 4 keysyms (key behaviours - i.e. 'a', ESC,
PageUp, etc.) to any keycode (the physical key - i.e. scancodes).  This
means that you can turn your 'b' key into "shift" and 'shift-a' into
"7".  As if you would want to...

The keysyms associated with a keycode are shown as columns in the output of 'xmodmap -pk'. In my case:

$ xmodmap -pk | grep quotedbl
48 	- keycode (the '"' key)

0xfe51 (dead_acute) - unmodified key press

0xfe57 (dead_diaeresis) - Shift

0x0027(apostrophe) - Mode_switch

0x0022 (quotedbl) - mode_switch + shifted

So to get a '"' character I would have to press the "-key + Shift + Mode_switch. To get access to this special key, remap the right alt key (standard location):

#make the left "Alt" key the "Mode_Switch" key
bash$ xmodmap -e 'keycode 113 = Mode_switch'

# turn Mode_switch into a Modifier
bash$ xmodmap -e 'add mod3 = Mode_switch'

You may also need to make a change to XF86Config (see above).

You can actual map

Make the above change to XF86Config.

OK, I made the changes as root and am about to restart X to see if they took.

In the quoted part of the keyboard section of XF86Config I uncommented the MS Natural Keyboard setting as that is what I use. Is there a way to make some use of the three MS keys on the keyboard? And so I don't keep having to ask, is there reasonably easy to understand documentation for these settings? Like a table of key codes, etc.?

--

Art Alexion

The attachment -- signature.asc -- is my electronic signature; no need for alarm.
Info @ http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/signature.asc.what.html

Key for signed PDFs available at
http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/ArthurSAlexion.p7c