Doug Crompton on 20 Sep 2004 14:15:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Linksys and DSL

I never mentioned DHCP. I generally don't use it. I assign static IP's in
my 192.168.x.x network. It is a rather easy thing to do although I agree
that DHCP would simplify things. I think however when you use port
forwarding on the Linsys you have to use static IP routing.

I just put a label on a box with it's IP address. With 250+- addresses
available I don't think I will run out. Granted in a real business
networking situation this would be a nightmare but at home it is no big
deal. WinXP even allows changing IP's, GW's etc. without rebooting which
is nice.

Doug

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004, Eric Hidle wrote:

> Assuming you use the linksys widget as the router, why do you want to pass
> DHCP requests across it? The router is the only device that should be doing
> DHCP requests on Verizon's side of the network. Your internal boxes should
> make their DHCP requests to the Router (that is, IF the router is the DHCP
> server for your local lan, something that your Linux box could also do).

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
*  215-431-6307		   *
* doug@crompton.com        *