Eric Hidle on 20 Sep 2004 14:26:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Linksys and DSL

"I have about 14 domains that I serve and provide web services for."

I think a DSL line might be a little thin for something like that... just
MHO...

"A question was asked wether Verizon business DSL is PPOE. I cannot answer
> that. I suspect it is. Does anyone have it?"

I am not sure, but I imagine that the only difference between the
residential and business DSL lines is the Terms of Service and whether or
not they issue a statically assigned DCHP entry in their server. Also
interesting is that even with the business DSL line, you are still not
allowed to run servers or use "excessive bandwidth," according to the ToS. A
subjective terms that lots of mainstream ISPs like to use to take your money
for a service they do not want you to use.

Honestly, for what it appears you are trying to do, I think you'd be better
off with a co-lo or something equivalent - maybe even something like
rackspace or whoever they are this week.

Another option that I just thought of is to get comcast and then use a linux
box to set up a GRE tunnel to someone who has a static routed subnet and
have them give you one of their IPs. I'm doing this for a friend of mine now
and it works very well.