Stephen Gran on 3 Oct 2004 01:48:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] X or fluxbox problem

On Sat, Oct 02, 2004 at 04:29:34PM -0400, Art Alexion said:
> >On Sat, Oct 02, 2004 at 01:50:08PM -0400, Art Alexion said:
> >>My default window manager in Red Hat 7.3 is fluxbox.  I use Yum/Fedora
> >>Legacy to keep the system up to date.  A recent yum update updated a lot
> >>of stuff, including the kernel and XFree86.  Now fluxbox won't load.  It
> >>starts to load and then X restarts and I am back to the kdm login screen.
> >>
> >>KDE and Window Maker load fine.
> >
> ~/.xsession-errors
>    Failed to load groupfile:
>    Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
>    Xlib: No protocol specified
>
>    You're probably trying to run an X app from the console, you idiot! RTFM
>    Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
>    Xlib: No protocol specified
>
>    Fatal error : Couldn't open display
>
>    Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
>    Xlib: No protocol specified

(Connection refused by X -  after here it's just individual apps failing
with the same basic problem)

> # uname -a
>
>    Linux rodney 2.4.20-30.7.legacy #1 Fri Feb 20 10:46:44 PST 2004 i686
>    unknown

Probably fine - has recent X modules

> # egrep '^\((WW|EE)\)' /var/log/XFree86.0.log
>
>    (WW) xf86AcquireGART: AGPIOC_ACQUIRE failed (Device or resource busy)
>    (EE) GARTInit: AGPIOC_INFO failed (Invalid argument)

X doen't like somthing about your agp.  Probably not fatal, since other
X apps (like kdm) start.  Probably no accelerated graphics, though.

> I tried to run fluxbox from within a kde session.  all of the programs
> in .fluxbox/init loaded fine.  Of course, the WM itself did not.

Good.

> >Also try moving your .fluxbox stuff out of the way, and retrying.
> >
> Not tried yet.

Don't bother - I think I see the problem now.  There are some minor
errors with your agp card that are probably worth investigating at some
point, but they are a red herring for now.  Your main problem is that X
is refusing the connection from fluxbox.  I am guessing (I don't know for
sure - each distro seems to do X in a totally different way, and I can't
keep them all straight) that kde and window maker are 'session types'
started by kdm, but fluxbox is started from your .xsession or something?
There is an option to allow/disallow .xsession/.Xresources for X.  It
may also be that kdm spawns kde and window maker in a different way than
it does fluxbox (kde is usually started by startkde, a wrapper script,
while fluxbox is started by running the binary directly, IIRC.  Don't
know about WM, but ISTR it has a wrapper script as well).  Maybe when
it's running the wrapper script, the wrapper script is managing to set
your uid to something that X doesn't refuse?  See below.

Debian has an Xsession.options file that has (surprise) options for the
Xsession, and it contains things like:
allow-user-resources
allow-user-xsession
This or the redhat equivalent would be the place for the first problem.

for just this kind of thing.  There is also an Xwrapper.config that
contains
allowed_users=console
to grant priviledges to local users.  Another valid option is root-only,
so this might be the solution to the second problem.

I am betting it is one of these things screwing you up, although I don't
know where Redhat puts the equivalent.  grep -ri allow /etc/X11 (probably
as root, since Xwrapper.config is not world readable here) will get you
to which file to poke at.

Good luck with it.
|  Stephen Gran                  | QOTD:  "Like this rose, our love will   |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | wilt and die."                          |