Stephen Gran on 3 Oct 2004 22:14:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] X or fluxbox problem

On Sun, Oct 03, 2004 at 09:06:30AM -0400, Art Alexion said:
> Stephen Gran wrote:
> >Debian has an Xsession.options file that has (surprise) options for the
> >Xsession, and it contains things like:
> >allow-user-resources
> >allow-user-xsession
> >This or the redhat equivalent would be the place for the first problem.
> >
> >for just this kind of thing.  There is also an Xwrapper.config that
> >contains
> >allowed_users=console
> >to grant priviledges to local users.  Another valid option is root-only,
> >so this might be the solution to the second problem.
> >
> >I am betting it is one of these things screwing you up, although I don't
> >know where Redhat puts the equivalent.  grep -ri allow /etc/X11 (probably
> >as root, since Xwrapper.config is not world readable here) will get you
> >to which file to poke at.
> >
> >Good luck with it.
> >
> Thanks, Stephen.  Does it help with the diagnosis that this has never
> been a problem until the kernel and X were recently updated?

Yes.  The upgrade probably changed an X config file out from under you.
Try looking around in /etc/X11, and look closely at the diff's if there
are any files with a .rpm-old copies lying around.

> KDE & Window Maker were installed with the distro (updated, but
> originally included) whereas I installed fluxbox from a .tar.gz.  I
> edited /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession to include fluxbox by just mimicking the
> lines for the other window managers.  Would it help if I showed you
> /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession?

I don't think that's the problem, although I'm happy to look if you want
to show me :)
|  Stephen Gran                  | They are relatively good but absolutely |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | terrible.   -- Alan Kay, commenting on  |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | Apollos                                 |