cms on 7 Oct 2004 12:41:01 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Home Networking Questions/Solutions

On Friday 30 July 2004 21:16, James Kelly wrote:
> cms wrote:
> | Hello all,
> |
> | As evidenced from this post, I am not too network savvy. Here goes...
>
> Two things:
>
> 1.) Many wireless routers anymore come with ethernet ports on them.  So
> in reality, you could put it just about anywhere you want.  You can put
> it in bridged mode, and away you go.  What I would do in your case is
> figure out which floor you expect to use the laptop on the most, and
> take the wired cable that was going to the computer on that floor, plug
> it in the new wireless device, then get a short cable and connect it to
> your desktop.

In this configuration, is the wireless access point acting as a hub? Simply
allowing traffic to pass through it?

> 2.) Enjoy the cable, I couldn't imagine why you would think it
> unpopular*.  DSL in the home is a mess from my experiences (including
> currently working for an ISP that offers DSL) and after switching from
> DSL to cable in the home, I have never looked back.  From my experience
> this is mostly due to poor wiring, something that isn't quite easy to
> fix.

I only mentioned that because of Comcast's issues with running services on
THEIR network. Whereas with DSL you get to use the bandwidth you're paying for
any way you want--within reason, of course.

> * Note the multiple references to "my experiences", I don't want to
> start a flame war here.

Thank you and I didn't take it that way. I need the help.

Chris/CMS