Paul on 10 Oct 2004 03:02:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] OT: Large Wireless Network on the Cheap

James Kelly wrote:

It doesn't take long to crack WEP.  Although I have heard about
improvements (either implemented, or coming down the pipe) I never seem
to hear anyone saying it has been effective.  Changing your keys
"occasionally" is really not worth your time when people can crack WEP
many times in less than an hour.

Many times in an hour? How much traffic does it take to achieve that? I think, typically, a home network doesn't cause much traffic.

Please share the name of the utility that can do that so I can try it.

I'm running OpenVPN, but I haven't changed the keys since I set it up. I really don't know how secure it really is anymore.