Jason Costomiris on 16 Nov 2004 12:57:02 -0000

Re: Installs (was Re: [PLUG] Some reviews of recent Linux distributions..)

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 18:02:51 -0500, Kevin Brosius <cobra@compuserve.com> wrote:
> > Really basic [dumb?] question: I know how to install over windows. I know how to
> > create a dual boot system. But what is the recommended way to install into partitions
> > that host one Linux distro (Mandrake 9.2) without disturbing a productively functioning
> > backup distro (Red Hat 7.3)?
>
> At least on SuSE, the installer generally handles this.  It detects
> installed partitions, asks if you want to update them.  If not, you just
> point it at empty partitions or other space, and it installs a new copy
> in that location.

Not all distributions can resize for you..

If you're in that boat, you want parted.

http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/parted.html

Defrag your existing windoze drive, and get everything moved to the
start of the disk.  Once you've done that, you're ok to go ahead and
resize away.

Alternatively, a commercial product like Partition Magic would fill
the bill nicely.

Both lilo and grub (my preference) are capable of booting windoze
partitions though.  Be warned -- in my experience (at least), Windoze
will pitch a royal fit if it's not on the first partition of the first
drive in the system.

And as Kevin said, backup your data first.

In fact, if you're sufferring from anything resembling what I refer to
as "Windoze Rot" (where your Windoze install is slowing down and
starting to behave erraticly), backup your data and reinstall, but
this time partition appropriately!

OR, just get a second drive to install Linux on.

Tiger Direct's got a 120GB Maxtor drive for $49.99 after a $20 rebate.
 No kidding - the 20GB is $49.99, the 120GB is $69.99 - 20.

--
Jason Costomiris <><
E: jcostom {at} gmail {dot} com / W: http://www.jasons.org/