Art Alexion on 17 Nov 2004 13:27:02 -0000

[PLUG] Re: Installs and Ubuntu Warty observations

Jason Costomiris wrote:

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 18:02:51 -0500, Kevin Brosius <cobra@compuserve.com> wrote:

Really basic [dumb?] question: I know how to install over windows. I know how to
create a dual boot system. But what is the recommended way to install into partitions
that host one Linux distro (Mandrake 9.2) without disturbing a productively functioning
backup distro (Red Hat 7.3)?

At least on SuSE, the installer generally handles this. It detects
installed partitions, asks if you want to update them. If not, you just
point it at empty partitions or other space, and it installs a new copy
in that location.

Solved this problem by deleting the Mandrake 9.2 partitions, then installing over the resulting free space. (Interesting (to me) was that the installer's disk prep routine claimed to be formatting as ext3, but the install script went on to install all of this ReiserFS stuff.)

Both lilo and grub (my preference) are capable of booting windoze
partitions though. Be warned -- in my experience (at least), Windoze
will pitch a royal fit if it's not on the first partition of the first
drive in the system.

I really screwed up grub by deleting the Mandrake partitions as grub was looking for /boot/grub/menu.lst on the now-missing partitions. And RH calls the file /boot/grub/grub.conf. So I renamed grub.conf > menu.lst, and that seemed to solve the problem. New distro Ubuntu Warty, of course replaced grub with its own again rather than updating it as promised. Both Mandrake and Ubuntu installers promised to update existing grub and to configure for existing linux partitions. Neither did. So I had to manually re-add the RH partition again.

And as Kevin said, backup your data first.

In fact, if you're sufferring from anything resembling what I refer to
as "Windoze Rot" (where your Windoze install is slowing down and
starting to behave erraticly),

Interesting that you should mention as that is happening on a separate machine. Performance remains snappy but file system browsing -- explorer and common dialogs -- literally takes minutes to change directories.

backup your data and reinstall, but
this time partition appropriately!

On this machine (Compaq -- and never again), I only kept a windows partition in case I needed it for hardware upgrades or configurations that required windows or DOS. I think it has only been booted twice -- when I got the machine, and then to test grub.

OR, just get a second drive to install Linux on.

Tiger Direct's got a 120GB Maxtor drive for $49.99 after a $20 rebate.
No kidding - the 20GB is $49.99, the 120GB is $69.99 - 20.

My newer machines suffer from crappy motherboard and case syndrome. God, I love my old Gateway 486 VESA full size tower. Lots of slots and power things, and plenty of room to work in. No need to completely disassemble just to add something predictable. Almost the size of my old house's closets. Reminds me of working on my Dad's '64 Mercury.

* * * *

Some early observations on Ubuntu Warty (4.10). Easy install for this Debian variant from a single CD. Biggest problem. ADSL not detected by the install script and manual install configuration not documented -- even on the web site. RP-PPPOE could not be installed because gcc not installed by default (it is on the disk, but you have to install it yourself -- not documented). Searching Google, I found one -- only one -- reference to DSL configuration. Instead of the standard adsl-setup command, Ubuntu uses pppoeconf. The script correctly detected the modem as being on eth1, claimed to set it up, was able to get an IP address and DNS references, but refuses to ping anything on the Internet. I guess DSL is not common in the UK where Ubuntu originates. Local pings via eth0 work fine. So I am back to Red Hat 7.3 for now. Going to try to compile rp-pppoe again, now that I have installed gcc. That package seemed to work fine for me on both Red Hat and Mandrake. I can't use apt to fix things if I can't connect to the Internet. First I have to figure out how to uninstall the broken pppoe stuff that came with the distro.

--

Art Alexion

The attachment -- signature.asc -- is my electronic signature; no need for alarm.
Info @ http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/signature.asc.what.html

Key for signed PDFs available at
http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/ArthurSAlexion.p7c