Stephen Gran on 21 Nov 2004 23:32:04 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Spamassassin 3.0.1

On Sun, Nov 21, 2004 at 05:25:51PM -0500, Eugene Smiley said:
> Stephen Gran wrote:
> >
> > I have been using SA3 since it released.  3.0.1 has much better
> > memory management than 3.0.0, but I am still seeing SIGCHILD
> > issues.  Not sure if it's what you would call 'stable' yet, but it
> > works for me.
>
> Well, all I have to say is, "WOW." Since updating to 3.0.1, SPAM
> scores have gone way up. The URI rules are a major source of this.
> I've even seen some hits against the SPF rules already.

Yes - it is awesome.  My inbox is down to about 2 spams a week here.  My
spambox still gets more than I like, but what can you do :)

> Not too worried about the bayes rules. They'll re-adjust over time
> considering that this is in a system wide setup (using amavisd-new).
> Annoying yes, but all in the name of PROGRESS. ;)

Also, take a look at the score assigned to bayes realted hits in this
version - I can't remember fully what the range was in SA 2.x, but it
seems much less important now.  So, losing it is less of a heartache
than it would have been a year ago.

> > Trivial.  Edit /etc/apt/sources.list, add a line for unstable.
> > apt-get update; apt-get install spamassassin.  Edit
> > /etc/apt/sources.list, remove line for unstable.  apt-get update.
> >
> > Or wait a week or so - the rc bugs are closed, and it will move
> > into testing relatively shortly.
>
> Well, I couldn't wait. I use synaptic, and I was impatient and just
> started twiddling with the repositories and basically did what you
> sugessted.
>
> Thanks for the feedback.

My pleasure.
|  Stephen Gran                  | The light at the end of the tunnel is   |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | the headlight of an approaching train.  |