Stephen Gran on 23 Nov 2004 13:52:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Re: DSL she no go...

On Tue, Nov 23, 2004 at 01:01:11AM -0500, Doug Crompton said:
> Well I took the advice and went to DCA net. So far I am told by their
> tech rep that the order is proceeding. I am not getting excited because I
> have been through this before! When I questioned the tech about service at
> Verizon RT's he asked me what an RT was! Not a good sign.
>
> He did say that ALL DCA DSL is static IP. They will supply one static IP
> for $44 - 3 MB.

I believe that you get 5 more IPs free.  At least that's the case here.

> I did not question if this is PPOE. If it is, is this a problem when using
> servers?

It's not.

> They need my MAC address. Why is that? Security? What if I change
> hardware? Am I down until I get a hold of a tech? I am not sure at this
> point if I am using a router front-end or Linux router so I guess I have
> to decide.

It's a dhcp setup now, it used to be just static setup, but now they
link your MAC address to your dhcp lease.  So, yes, if you swap NICs,
you have to either call them or send them an email letting them know
about it.  OTOH, I've never had to wait more than a half hour or so for
that to take effect.
|  Stephen Gran                  | The world really isn't any worse.  It's |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | just that the news coverage is so much  |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | better.                                 |