William H. Magill on 23 Nov 2004 16:17:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Philadelphia Wireless Project

On 22 Nov, 2004, at 19:01, James Kelly wrote:
Also, from the previous email, to your assertion that it is a bad thing
that we are using only 802.11b, the reality is the speed gains from g
would likely not be worth it, depending on the price difference.
Assuming the primary goal of this is to deliver internet access, think
about yourself using wireless broadband at home... which is going to
offer you faster downloads, wireless g or wireless b? The answer is
neither, the bottleneck is your connection to the internet. So if the
city will save money by deploying only b, then they should go for it. I
haven't seen a comparison to be honest, so I can't speak of this.
Otherwise I am guessing you mean wait for n? That would be nice, but
it's not ready for a project like this.

The problem or issue here is one of expectations.

[See my report on The Committee meeting posted on 5 November:
Subject: Re: [PLUG] Mayor's Wireless  Initiative - report and misc info

The city is claiming they are going to be providing HIGH-SPEED Wireless connectivity.

"It can provide affordable access to high-speed telecommunications to small, midsize and economically disadvantaged businesses helping to grow their business."

The basic design issues with 802.11b preclude any kind of reasonable "matrix" capabilities --there is simply not enough inherent bandwidth in 802.11, if more than 2 or 3 people are using it simultaneously! So yes, you are correct, since "they" are not talking about a T1 link for each AP, but only one for the "matrix;" the "back-haul" connection is the issue.

The real technical issue in all of this is that the City is proposing to provide the smallest and weakest infrastructure possible. All that you will get from the City is an RF connection ... no IP! The City will NOT be providing ANY ISP services. All ISP services, as in Love Park or Rittenhouse Square, are to be provided by outside third parties to whom the City has granted franchises. (Charges are a separate issue.)

T.T.F.N. William H. Magill # Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg # Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg # PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a # XP1000 [Alpha EV6] magill@mcgillsociety.org magill@acm.org magill@mac.com whmagill@gmail.com