Art Alexion on 22 Nov 2004 22:53:02 -0000

RE: [PLUG] Philadelphia Wireless Project

On Mon, 2004-11-22 at 11:14 -0500, George Gallen wrote:
> that makes sense however. And for major cities, this shouldn't
> be a stopping point. What phone company would want to take on
> such a costly, non-profitable task? That's what municipal
> govenments are for, to pay for things that will never see a
> profit, and benefit most of the people who won't use it.

Right.

> I say that in the sense, If you already have cable internet, will
> you drop it when the city goes wireless? or will you continue
> to use your own cable internet connection?

Depends on what effect the free network will have on cable prices.  For
most people who pay attention to their bills, lets compare $40/month
($480/year) to $0.  For those of us without cable TV, the comparison is
$54/month vs. $0/month.  Assuming the free system is reasonably
reliable, I can think of a lot of things I could do with an extra
$54/month.

> I see major issues with this plan. I see rampant identity theft
> that will occur with people driving around sniffing packets pulling
> emails and files right out of the air.

True, but this exists in many areas anyway and will continue to grow as
homeowners without a security clue continue to add wireless home
networks.

> The potential for child porn
> to be downloaded while sitting in your car looking at the kids
> playing in the playgrounds, or in the parks, totally anonymously.

Huh?

> As well, I can envision the drug dealers utilizing this free
> anonymous
> network for inventory and distribution services.

You totally overestimate Philadelphia drug dealers.  Right now, they do
fine with cell phones at the street level and even a level or two above.
Most don't even use scanners, thinking that the penalty for being found
with a scanner is greater than being found with a couple of grams of
heroin.  Street workers are recruited from the desperate and
almost-desperate -- not the kind of people who would own a computer or
who the upper level people trust enough to lend a computer.  And the
upper level people are not that dumb.  They understand anonymity much
better than most of us -- using cash for everything even when credit is
not a problem.  They understand that a computer that falls into the
hands  of a guy like Jon Nelson would result in the take-down of the
entire organization.

> I really like the idea, but the city has a lot of other issues to
> deal with first. You can't be laying off Police and Firefighters and
> then instituting a wireless plan like this....doesn't make sense.

Totally true, and totally besides the point.  Certain projects are
funded -- because of their perceived importance and because they tend to
be inexpensive compared to pensions and transit systems -- even in the
toughest budgets.  Things like the Art Museum and the Mummers.  I
suspect that city leaders perceive that being one of the first major
cities to do this is well worth the expense, in benefits that follow a
reputation for being innovative.

Art