Malcolm J Harwood on 3 Jan 2005 14:55:42 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Laptop Hardware Troubles?

On Thursday 30 December 2004 06:50 pm, cshanahan@comcast.net wrote:

> If possible, could I get some insight from the list regarding a hardware
> problem I'm having with my --I can't live without it!-- laptop? Its a
> Toshiba Satellite 2435-S255 running WinXP Pro and SuSE Linux 9.2 Pro. Last

Almost the same model as mine.

> Anyway, when I tried to write to the hard drive the laptop crashed again
> after a few minutes of writing. I tried various file system tools on both
> the Linux (Reiser and Ext2) file systems and the NTFS file system using
> Knoppix (v.3.7) and SystemRescueCd (v.0.2.15) but did not detect any
> errors, such as bad blocks. The laptop will run all day long without
> problems, provided I don't try to write to the hard drive.

> Has anyone has similar problems with a laptop recently? Any ideas what the
> trouble could be?

Check that the drive is seated correctly. Assuming the case is identical to
mine, it's possible for the drive to look and feel like it is correctly in,
and seem to function, but not actually be completely connected. (And I've
taken the drive out and reinserted it without if fixing the problem, it has
to be pushed against the connector firmly after it's in the slot).

This results in anything from the machine not seeing the drive at all, to
fatal data transfer errors (though if it actually booted off that drive, I'm
not sure this is the problem - I had read errors not write errors - but then
linux typically writes to the drive on boot, unless you've disabled syslog,
etc).

I'd definitely look into the heat issue that someone else mentioned. Try
running something CPU intensive for a while that doesn't hit the drive and
see if that causes a problem.

--
"And what are you?" "Alive. Everything else is negotiable."
- Sheridan and Franklin, Babylon 5