Stephen Gran on 3 Jan 2005 15:27:21 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Display of "Windows" characters in Mutt

On Mon, Jan 03, 2005 at 06:49:58AM -0500, eric@lucii.org said:
> I receive emails that are written on various systems and I notice that a
> number of "special" characters that don't display well in mutt.  In
> particular, for some emails...
>
>  I see:     don?t       instead of:  don't
>  I see:     word?word   instead of:  word - word
>  I see:     ?word?      instead of:   "word"
>
> Some of these are, I believe, "smart quotes" in Windows applications.
> Others are replaced dashes between words or elipsis.  When I edit the
> email in VIM I see either the correct character or a code that
> represents the character:   don<92>t
>
> In a recent email I noticed the character set was specified as iso-8859-15
> so I put these lines in my .muttrc:
>
> set charset="iso-8859-1:iso-8859-15"
> # used to be:
> #   set charset="ascii"
> set send_charset="us-ascii"
>
> but now don?t becomes: don\264t
>
> How do other mutt users deal with this - besides not accepting email from
> Windows users :-)  Is this setting actually "outside" of Mutt?

It is actually outside of mutt :)

Windows uses some non-standard character set extensions, and they are
not part of any of the usual character sets, so mutt has no way of
knowing about them.
|  Stephen Gran                  | Welcome to Lake Wobegon, where all the  |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | men are strong, the women are pretty,   |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | and the children are above-average.   - |
|  			         | - Garrison Keillor                      |