sean finney on 22 Jan 2005 01:33:39 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Spam Elimination

On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 02:58:46PM -0500, Malcolm J Harwood wrote:
> I'm curious as to what the downsides you encountered are (as I've not run into
> any myself yet, and would like to know if it's something I need to watch out
> for).

it's an abuse of the smtp protocol, for starters.  it doubles the
network and processing usage of legitimate mail servers, which maybe
isn't a big deal for a personal mail server but for large
installations can be a significant impact.

also, it's only a stopgap measure against the spammers, because as
soon as they catch on they'll just try to send the same message twice,
and then you're working twice as hard with the same results.

so my objections are more philosophical, and based on historical trends,
i guess.  Right Now, i hear it has pretty good results, but i'd expect
the effectiveness to wear off in a couple years.  so it goes.

	sean