Ben Dugan on 27 Jan 2005 13:50:33 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Postscript/Ghostscript question

Tom Hornberger wrote:

Just out of curiosity what are you encoding? Shaft position? Any "Gray" scale app I've seen for position encoding doesn't use "gray" scales. The output of a "Gray" scale encoder is modified binary. The actual scale on the film would be solid black or clear to encode the bits.

The gray scale wheel I'm making goes in an optical joystick we build. It gets "read" by firmware in a microcontroller, and the microcontroller handles communication over standard interfaces. So in this case its actually grays that vary from 0 to 100%. I _think_ its fair to call this a gray scale, which is distinct from the gray code you're refering to, but admittedly its not as clear as it might be.