Doug Crompton on 26 Feb 2005 03:17:39 -0000

Re: [PLUG] dyndns + speakeasy

I have dcanet - 6 statics - $44/month. Been great. Speakeasy has usually
been high compared with others. Check out cavalier - www.cavtel.com - they
are $25/month and I think static or at least they don't block anything.

If you are doing your own web and mail then why not DNS? I do it all here.
All I need is the pipe. The only thing DCA does for me is reverse DNS. It
is nice to not have to depend on anyone else and you can change add
domains at will. I have 13 domains here but they all answer to the one
static IP. Virtual HTTP works great. Personally while I know it can work,
I would be scared to depend on dyndns. I like knowing everything is locked
down and under my control.

Doug

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005, Dan Widyono wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I'm thinking of taking the plunge away from static IP in order to save money.
> Plan: go from dcanet to speakeasy basic (DHCP) with dynamic dns.  Problem:

> I've never done dynamic dns.  Any pointers to howto's, etc.?  I've already
> read up some on dyndns and checked that zoneedit works with it.  Anyone else
> use speakeasy's basic service with dyndns.org?  With zoneedit.com?  Oh, I'm
> not interested in maintaining DNS myself, don't want to run BIND or any such
> server at all.  I'm just interested in my own web and mail hosting.
>
> Hopefully this will save me $24 per month.
>
> Regards,
> Dan W.
>
> --
> -- Daniel Widyono             --