Dan Widyono on 26 Feb 2005 03:41:15 -0000

Re: [PLUG] dyndns + speakeasy

> I have dcanet - 6 statics - $44/month. Been great. Speakeasy has usually
> been high compared with others. Check out cavalier - www.cavtel.com - they
> are $25/month and I think static or at least they don't block anything.

Ouch.  I've had $64/mo dcanet over covad for a long time (connect directly to
UPenn, perhaps that's the rub).  Speakeasy basic is $40/mo.  Mebbe I can just
ask dcanet to give me the cheaper static service.  Cavtel hasn't been
answering my e-mails re: policies on running your own servers.

Thanks,
Dan W.

> If you are doing your own web and mail then why not DNS? I do it all here.

That's great for you, but I don't want to learn DNS.  I wanted to learn email
so my wife could successfully work with attachments (hotmail broke them with
anything non-IE and I refuse to install IE) and I could learn about spam
control and then forget about it (clamav rocks, amavis helped out,
spamassassin completed the set).  I wanted to learn http because it was just
cool and I could already maintain a web site.

> is nice to not have to depend on anyone else and you can change add
> domains at will.

I have no such fancy dns needs.  I only need one domain, one website, one
mail server, one computer to rule them all and in the darkness, run on UPS.
I do like not having to worry about dyndns, so I guess my first shot will be
to look at cheaper dcanet packages.

--
-- Daniel Widyono             --
-- www.widyono.net            --