Jeff Kaufman on 27 Mar 2005 14:59:23 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Re: Need to reinstall grub

Art Alexion wrote:
> Art Alexion wrote:
>
>> Art Alexion wrote:
>>
>>> Grub was installed on my MBR on hda.  It seems that hda has given up
>>> the ghost.  Not much lost (win98 that came with computer), but now I
>>> can't boot (currently running knoppix).  Boot is a continuous loop
>>> from the mem test to going through the BIOS-defined boot drives, then
>>> back to the mem test.
>>>
>>> How can I get the computer to boot from hdb (where linux, the kernel,
>>> and the grub program are located).  To be more precise, I don't
>>> really understand where the grub program is located, but I think most
>>> of it is in /boot/grub on /dev/hdb2.
>>>
>>> If anyone can walk me through this using knoppix, that would be
>>> wonderful.  I have the Knoppix 2.6.9 kernel loaded.  I know that the
>>> Ubuntu kernel on /dev/hdb2 is a 2.6 kernel, but I am not sure of the
>>> exact version.
>>

>> I mounted /dev/hdb2 and it looks like the Ubuntu kernel that I am
>> using is 2.6.8-1
>

> Getting there, but still stuck.
>
> I ran /sbin/grub
>
> At the grub> prompt, I ran
>
>    root (hd1,1)
>
> because the kernel is on /dev/hdb2, and I am led to believe that grub
> always starts at 0.  Then I ran
>
>    setup (hd1)
>
> The command seemed to work, but I still can't boot, because hdb (or hd1)
> is not the boot drive.  Do I change this in the bios or with cfdisk?

You can set a drive to be bootable in cfdisk, and your linux drive will
need to be bootable.  In some BIOSs you can set the boot order for the
hard drives, but in others you can't.

Is your dead hard drive still inside and connected?

Jeff