Art Alexion on 27 Mar 2005 15:38:56 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Re: Need to reinstall grub

Jeff Kaufman wrote:

Art Alexion wrote:

Art Alexion wrote:

Art Alexion wrote:

Grub was installed on my MBR on hda.  It seems that hda has given up
the ghost.  Not much lost (win98 that came with computer), but now I
can't boot (currently running knoppix).  Boot is a continuous loop
from the mem test to going through the BIOS-defined boot drives, then
back to the mem test.

How can I get the computer to boot from hdb (where linux, the kernel,
and the grub program are located).  To be more precise, I don't
really understand where the grub program is located, but I think most
of it is in /boot/grub on /dev/hdb2.

If anyone can walk me through this using knoppix, that would be
wonderful. I have the Knoppix 2.6.9 kernel loaded. I know that the
Ubuntu kernel on /dev/hdb2 is a 2.6 kernel, but I am not sure of the
exact version.

I mounted /dev/hdb2 and it looks like the Ubuntu kernel that I am
using is 2.6.8-1

Getting there, but still stuck.

I ran /sbin/grub

At the grub> prompt, I ran

  root (hd1,1)

because the kernel is on /dev/hdb2, and I am led to believe that grub
always starts at 0.  Then I ran

  setup (hd1)

The command seemed to work, but I still can't boot, because hdb (or hd1)
is not the boot drive. Do I change this in the bios or with cfdisk?

You can set a drive to be bootable in cfdisk, and your linux drive will
need to be bootable. In some BIOSs you can set the boot order for the
hard drives, but in others you can't.

I think I can (haven't checked lately, but I think I can set the boot order in BIOS)

Do I need to do both?

Is your dead hard drive still inside and connected?

Yes.

I intend to install another hard drive that I have laying around. I don't want to make this more complicated than it has to be. That is, I don't want to mess up anything that points to hdb (slave on primary IDE) by removing the shot drive and making hdb, hda. I guess, I'll make the new drive the master (the way it was before).

Then again, my linux system (the only one I really use on this machine) is on hdb2 because it evolved that way. That is, originally installed Red Hat as a dual boot on hda2. Got hdb installed and made hdb1 the /home partition for Red Hat. Installed Ubuntu on hdb2 and after insuring that I liked and could get work done on it, zapped Red Hat from hda2 and used the partition to store ogg files. Kept windows on hda1 in case I needed to use it to maintain this non-standard-seeming Compaq hardware. Never have.

So, if it isn't hard, in terms of messing up the installed distro to make the remaining drive the primary (hda), maybe I should do that and keep the new drive for the ogg files as hdb. suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

Art