Eugene Smiley on 11 Apr 2005 18:21:24 -0000

Re: [PLUG] PCHDTV

Doug Crompton wrote:

> What output cards are you considering? Would the HD-3000 work for
> this?
>
> On Sun, 10 Apr 2005, George Theall wrote:
>

>> I'm seriously tempted to move away from the PVR-350 and use a
>> real graphics card for TV-Out.
>>
>> George -- theall@tifaware.com

The pcHDTV card isn't a "real graphics" card. From the stories I've
read, the output is marginal (not counting the fact that the output
is not HD). In order to get HD quality output to an HDTV you need an
HD quality link between the DVR and the HDTV. Right now this means
DVI, VGA, or Component Video. The tough part is matching up your TV
IN to your DVR OUT. You can buy converters to go from one to another,
but CAVEAT EMPTOR. I've read that some of the converters are better
than others and working a solution without a converter is your best
bet.

Another poster mentioned that the pcHD3000 has COMPONENT video.
Actaully it only has COMPOSITE video. COMPONENT video divides the
COMPOSITE signal into 3 seperate signals for better video quality and
was designed with DVD players in mind. Composite is much older and
only uses one wire.

Oreilly's Home Theater Hacks
(http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/htheaterhks/chapter/index.html) is a
great book to get the details about the differences, but basically
the order of signal quality (with lowest first) is:

RF via coax AKA channel 3/4 output
*Composite Video
*S Video
VGA and Component Video
DVI, DVI-D, DVI-I and HDMI

* Can't do HDTV

You will note that the 2 outputs on the pcHD3000 are the two that
can't do HDTV, therefore you MUST have a graphics card to output
HDTV.