Doug Crompton on 24 Apr 2005 16:23:20 -0000

[PLUG] USB Mass storage question

I have an external USB mass storage drive running under SUSE 7.3 (an ATA
drive in an external USB box).

What is the correct way to disconnect this drive. When I unmount
everything and shutdown the power I get a kernel message that it lost the
controller and something about that being "very bad."

When I just disconnect the USB cable from the drive it seems to be a more
benign message that it was disconnected.

I would like to leave this drive installed (USB connected) and just turn
off the power when it is not in use. I use it as a backup. Is there a
better way to do this?

Doug

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *