Cosmin Nicolaescu on 13 May 2005 15:03:27 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Ubuntu

On Fri, May 13, 2005 9:45 am, Art Alexion said:
> I thought I would address this question here rather than on the Ubuntu
> list where things tend to get "religious" rather than "practical".
>
> Been using Ubuntu Warty since about November.  Very happy with it.
> Stable enough to rely on for "production".  Last month the upgrade to
> Hoary became official.  A scan of the Ubuntu user list reveals what
> seems to be a lot of users with serious problems using Hoary.  But that
> is not necessarily a good way to gage the general experience because you
> only get to read what those who take the time to complain are saying,
> and often a few tend to take up a lot of bandwidth with complaints.  But
> I am still leery.
>
> Anyone on this list using Ubuntu and upgraded Warty to Hoary?
> Experiences?  Worth it?
>
> While, Warty is supposed to be supported for another 17 months, I am
> already having dependency conflicts with security updates.
>
> --
>
> _______________________________________
> Art Alexion
> Arthur S. Alexion LLC
> arthur [at] alexion [dot] com
> aim: aalexion
> sms: 2679725536 [at] messaging [dot] sprintpcs [dot] com
>
> PGP fingerprint: 52A4 B10C AA73 096F A661  92D2 3B65 8EAC ACC5 BA7A
> The attachment -- signature.asc -- is my electronic signature; no need for
> alarm.
> Info @
> http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/signature.asc.what.html
>
> Key for signed PDFs available at
> http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/ArthurSAlexion.p7c
> The validation string is TTJY-ZILJ-BJJG.

Off the topic on this one, but I've been meaning to ask some Ubuntu user
this for some time now.

A few weeks ago we got a box full of Ubuntu Live & Installation CD's. I
popped the livecd in to see how it compares with Knoppix. I was very
dissapointed. Not only did it load a lot slower, but it did not have as
many apps as Knoppix, and it had some really bad scripting involved (I
understand errors like failing to load a module because the hardware
wasn't there - although this could be avoided in a not-so-difficult
manner), but trying to write to a ro environment that _it_ set is just
stupid (no offense to anyone).

My question would be: what's so great about Ubuntu (other than a flshy
name). I mean, it uses apt (from what I read on their site). Is it just
Debian with newer packages (like even more recent then the testing (or
unstable, I don't reacall if they're the same or not) branch from
Debian?). Knoppix is also Debian-based, and its strength is awesome
hardware detection (which I don't understand why more linux distros don't
adopt). What does Ubuntu have that no other distro offers, or what does it
offer more/better?

I'm sorry if this seems like a flame, it's not meant to be, I'm just curious.

- -Cos

- --
GPG key fingerprint = DE9F 4664 E666 2BD1 903E  4F4D EA31 5FB1 C7F9 08C1