Ben Dugan on 16 May 2005 14:23:08 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Ubuntu

My question would be: what's so great about Ubuntu (other than a flshy
name). I mean, it uses apt (from what I read on their site). Is it just
Debian with newer packages (like even more recent then the testing (or
unstable, I don't reacall if they're the same or not) branch from
Debian?). Knoppix is also Debian-based, and its strength is awesome
hardware detection (which I don't understand why more linux distros don't
adopt). What does Ubuntu have that no other distro offers, or what does it
offer more/better?

Well, I can't answer your question, but I usually go to:

http://distrowatch.com/

when I'm thinking about comparing distributions, and there Unbuntu seems to be getting a lot of attention. Its the top ranked distribution of the top 100, in hits per day (at aroun 2000 hits per day).