Jeff Abrahamson on 9 Jun 2005 12:41:20 -0000

Re: [PLUG] OS X, terminal, screen, mutt, emacs

On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 06:57:02AM -0400, Flint Heart wrote:
>   [38 lines, 240 words, 1589 characters]  Top characters: etnos_ih
>
> On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 03:59:35AM -0400, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> > - I can tell Terminal not to have scroll-back, but I don't see a way
> >   to have page-up/page-down pass through to linux apps instead of being
> >   caught by Terminal, which maintains a scrollbar despite my asking to
> >   have no scroll history.
> what version of osx do you have. its easier to to on tiger then it was on
> panther. just remap pageup and pagedown to what shift pageup and shift
> pagedown are(i think thats the key combo to page) Its under window
> settings, keyboard.

10.3.9, don't remember which feline that corresponds to.  But your
suggestions work great.  Thanks.

> > - Control-F-keys (C-F1, for example) don't pass through to apps,
> >   although ordinary F-keys do.
>
> Are we on a laptop ?

Yes, with a Kinesis keyboard attached.

> function key and then the function buttons will do the job.  I think there
> is a way to override the normal uses of those keys though.

So no function key...

I tried clicking the button you mentioned in system preferences, but
it didn't change what happens in Terminal.

> > - Apps see backspace as forward delete.  If I tell Terminal to pass
> >   delete as backspace, apps sees C-h (which they don't understand),
> >   especially emacs.
>
> also under window settings, keyboard, check off
> "Delete key sends Backspace"

Yeah, this is an old thing with emacs.  There's a difference between
C-h and backspace, even though the ascii character code is the same.
I don't understand how emacs can tell the difference in terminal mode
(although it's easy under X).  But it certainly can.  And that check
box causes a C-h to be sent rather than a backspace, which is its own
brand of annoyance.

> "Use option key as meta key"

That was very helpful when I found it last night.  Lack of meta is so
frustrating.

I've also discovered that something is interpreting C-s as  a prefix.
So if I want to search for "dog" in emacs and type "C-s d o g" I see
the "C-s d" disappear (even "C-h k" doesn't see it, so I'm pretty sure
emacs isn't seeing it at all), then "og" inserts.  Any ideas?

--
 Jeff

 Jeff Abrahamson  <http://www.purple.com/jeff/>    +1 215/837-2287