Walt Mankowski on 9 Jun 2005 15:20:36 -0000

Re: [PLUG] OS X, terminal, screen, mutt, emacs

On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 08:41:08AM -0400, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> 10.3.9, don't remember which feline that corresponds to.

10.3.9 is the most recent update to Panther.  Tiger is 10.4.

> > > - Control-F-keys (C-F1, for example) don't pass through to apps,
> > >   although ordinary F-keys do.
> >
> > Are we on a laptop ?
>
> Yes, with a Kinesis keyboard attached.
>

> > function key and then the function buttons will do the job.  I think there
> > is a way to override the normal uses of those keys though.
>
> So no function key...
>
> I tried clicking the button you mentioned in system preferences, but
> it didn't change what happens in Terminal.

It looks like many of the control-function keys are already mapped to
various things in OS X.  You could try clearing them in System
Preferences / Keyboard & Mouse / Keyboard Shortcuts and see if that
helps.  Also, instead of Terminal, you might try running xterm or one
of its cousins in X11.app.  That might help your page up/down
problems, too.

> > > - Apps see backspace as forward delete.  If I tell Terminal to pass
> > >   delete as backspace, apps sees C-h (which they don't understand),
> > >   especially emacs.
> >
> > also under window settings, keyboard, check off
> > "Delete key sends Backspace"
>
> Yeah, this is an old thing with emacs.  There's a difference between
> C-h and backspace, even though the ascii character code is the same.
> I don't understand how emacs can tell the difference in terminal mode
> (although it's easy under X).  But it certainly can.  And that check
> box causes a C-h to be sent rather than a backspace, which is its own
> brand of annoyance.

This is why I use aterm instead of Terminal. :)  Another thing you can
try is M-x normal-erase-is-backspace-mode.

> I've also discovered that something is interpreting C-s as  a prefix.
> So if I want to search for "dog" in emacs and type "C-s d o g" I see
> the "C-s d" disappear (even "C-h k" doesn't see it, so I'm pretty sure
> emacs isn't seeing it at all), then "og" inserts.  Any ideas?

Odd, that works fine for me...

Walt