Stephen Gran on 26 Jul 2005 22:31:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] exim4 and local delivery

On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 06:22:43PM -0400, Jeff Abrahamson said:
> On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 06:00:33PM -0400, Stephen Gran wrote:
> > You are saying 'EHLO localhost' when you should be saying 'EHLO
> > purple.com'.  I think your hostname stuff is not set up correctly.
> > What does `hostname; hostname -f` return - it should return your
> > short hostname followed by an internet addressable fqdn.  If not,
> > fix that first.
>
> This doesn't work.  On a hunch, I reorder the lines:
>
>     192.168.0.7	astra.purple.com astra
>     127.0.0.1	localhost.localdomain astra

This should be

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
192.168.0.7 astra.purple.com astra

it is

IP FQDN alias [alias alias ... ]

The first match wins, so if astra is attached to localhost, then it
looks to the left of that for fqdn.

> This works, but I don't understand why the order should matter or even
> why it can't find out its name from bind.  (The dig program works.)
> I'm a bit concerned I may have messed something else up and that this
> is but a bandaid over the root cause.

dig and host use dns queries, ping and exim and others use
gethostbyname() and so they use the system resolver libraries, which
always check /etc/hosts first.  To change the search order (a bad thing
to do, as your system will beunable to resolve localhost if bind dies)
is to change the search order for hosts in /etc/nsswitch.conf.
|  Stephen Gran                  | One doesn't have a sense of humor.  It  |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | has you.   -- Larry Gelbart             |