LeRoy Cressy on 29 Jul 2005 12:18:50 -0000

Re: [PLUG] GPG Signed

Stewart B. Lone wrote:
> gyoza@comcast.net wrote:
>
>> Eric J. Roode wrote:
>>

>>> To sign a message this way, you have to use an email program that
>>> supports the PGP/MIME protocol.
>>>

>> Thanks.  I had actually worked it out last night.  I looked at the
>> source for a couple messages and I noticed a link that Alexion has in
>> his signature.
>> http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/signature.asc.what.html
>>
>> (Hmm.  I'd like to make it obvious that I signed the message, but the
>> inline signature is a mess.)
>>
>> As far as distributing the public key, I was planning on just giving it
>> to family so we can play with encryption.  Eventually I might want to
>> have my key signed and posted somewhere.

> I understand that you want to make it obvious that you signed the
> message, and it does indeed show a signature. However, [using enigmail]
>  in the topline of the visible header, it states "Unverified signature;
> click Pen icon". How do I know its you. If you use an armored file,
> export pub file option, that could be imported to my keyring, likewise
> from a keyserver. Once its on my ring, I can set it to a marginal trust
> value and subsequent representations of that key would show as a bad sig
> if it were different. Who has time to inspect each and every sig. If the
> opportunity to exchange keyslips offers itself, then trust could be set
> to ultimate.
The ultimate trust should be reserved for yourself only
marginal is for when you sign a key and only marginally verify the
person whereas fully trusted means that you not only exchanged keyslips
and checked the ID, but you exchanged encrupted email with each other
verifying the email connection prior to signing the key.

When you sign a key you are asked how well you checked the key that you
are signing:

This is from the gpg man page:

- --default-cert-level n
    The default to use for the check level when signing a key.

   0 means you make no particular claim as to how carefully you verified
       the key

   1  means  you  believe the key is owned by the person who claims to
       own it but you could not, or did not verify the key at all.  This
       is useful for a "persona" verification, where you sign the key of
       a pseudonymous user.

   2 means you did casual verification of the key.  For example, this
       could mean that you verified that the key fingerprint and checked
       the user ID on the key against a photo ID.

   3  means  you did extensive verification of the key.  For example,
        this could mean that you verified the key fingerprint with the
        owner of the  key  in  person,  and that  you checked, by means
        of a hard to forge document with a photo ID (such as a passport)
        that the name of the key owner matches the name in the user  ID
        on  the key,  and  finally that you verified (by exchange of
        email) that the email address on the key belongs to the key
        owner.

    Note that the examples given above for levels 2 and 3 are just that:
    examples.  In the end, it is up to you to decide just what "casual"
    and "extensive" mean to you.

    This option defaults to 0 (no particular claim).

3 ends up as fully trusting which reports good signature from
someone@somewhere.com.  The others report untrusted or unverified signature.

- --
 Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy  mailto:leroy@lrcressy.com   /\_/\
                       http://lrcressy.com        ( o.o )
                       Phone:  215-535-4037        > ^ <
                       FAX:    215-535-4285

gpg fingerprint:  62DE 6CAB CEE1 B1B3 359A  81D8 3FEF E6DA 8501 AFEA

For info on enigmail:    http://lrcressy.com/linux/mozilla.pdf
For info on gpg:         http://www.gnupg.org/