Stewart B. Lone on 28 Jul 2005 23:27:15 -0000

Re: [PLUG] GPG Signed

gyoza@comcast.net wrote:
Stewart B. Lone wrote:

I wouldnt do that as thats tantamount to stating that you know me and
would vouch for me. Best just import onto your keyring and what I do is
set trust at "Owner trust: Marginally". When that key hits my mail
program again it still advertises itself as untrusted but I know that
its marginal because I havent shared keysigning slips in person with the
owner of that key. If I had I would have reset the trust to "ultimate".
So I am assuming that "gyoza" is the same person as "paul@dpagin.net ?

I added "gyoza@comcast.net" to my key.

When I try to change the trust of your key, I get a discouraging message
(non-valid key, changes won't take effect) and WinPT crashes.  When I
look again, it /looks/ like the change took effect, but I'm not sure.

Maybe we are talking apples and oranges here. I dont know how closely the win version of enigmail hues to the linux version. There may be subtle differences, although I believe the functionality is pretty much the same. However good practice for both would be to leave the key set to some level of untrusted if you dont actually know the person, and not sign the key unless you have exchanged slips and checked ID in person.