Jeff Kaufman on 12 Aug 2005 13:30:55 -0000

Re: [PLUG] disable plugin-based popups in Firefox

Toby DiPasquale wrote:
I almost forgot...

At the meeting, I had mentioned an about:config option for Firefox to
disable popups that originated from plugins, but I couldn't remember the
exact name or the site. I located the blog I originally found it on, which
is here:

http://www.petebevin.com/archives/2005/03/10/firefox_popups.html

Wouldn't this also disable user-initiated popups? Normally Firefox will open a popup only when the user clicks, usually on a javascript link. In the case of popups caused by a plugin, however, firefox can't know if the popup is user-initiated. (Or could it look at the timing between the mouse click it passes to the plugin and the request it recieves back to launch the popup?)

A solution I like better is the flashblock plugin, as almost all flash objects are ADs and the ones that aren't are usually annoying. A blocked bit of flash can't open popups, and if you unblock it, you probably want to let it do what its supposed to.

Jeff

--
Jeff Kaufman
http://sccs.swarthmore.edu/~cbr/