Will Dyson on 17 Aug 2005 04:28:16 -0000

Re: [PLUG] hard drives

On 8/14/05, Carlos Konstanski <ckonstan@lunarlogic.com> wrote:

> There are 2 ways to access these drives in the 2.6 kernel: SCSI or
> libata.  Maybe one is faster than the other?  Haven't played around
> with it really.

Just as a by the way, "libata" refers to the native SATA drivers (the
ones that show your drive as a SCSI device). The legacy PATA drivers
are most often refered to by their location in the kernel source tree:
drivers/ide/.

If both drivers detect and enable cache flushes for the drive's
on-board write cache (allowing it to be used), you should see no
difference in performance. At least as far as the driver is concerned.
I suppose it is possible that some chipsets are slower in legacy mode,
however.

--
Will Dyson