Will Dyson on 18 Aug 2005 05:26:08 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Mounting SATA RAID NTFS in Fedora Core 3

On 8/17/05, chris@chrisbovasso.com <chris@chrisbovasso.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the reply. I did find the /dev/mapper directory filled with
> dmraid's files. However when I try to open any of them I am unable to do
> so. If I do it through the GUI I get a simple "could not display" error.
>
> Is there something else I am doing wrong? The files that are in
> /dev/mapper are:
>
> control           sil_acababaaajfg1  VolGroup00-LogVol00
> sil_acababaaajfg  sil_acababaaajfg2  VolGroup00-LogVol01

I'm not sure what you mean by "open them". Previously, you indicated
your understanding of the need to mount a block device (the logical
raid volume being an example of a block device) in order to access a
filesystem on that device, so I'll assume that you aren't just
double-clicking on the device file and expecting it to do something.

If you are unable to mount any of those sil_foo files as an ntfs
filesystem, perhaps too many blocks are bad (or are bad in a critical
place on the filesystem).

But before giving up, I suggest you read the dmraid man page and
examine the output of 'dmraid -r'. That should tell you something
about what raid volumes dmraid thinks it has discoverd. There seem to
be other dmraid options that would list information about what it has
discovered as well.

You didn't mention what partitions, etc you had on the raid volume. It
looks to me as if dmraid has discovered 2 partitions on the raid
volume and created the block device files sil_acababaaajfg1and
sil_acababaaajfg2 for them. Is this the expected result? Did you have
a C: and D: drives in windows?

Also helpful is to examine the output of the 'dmesg' command, after
any error occurs (the same info is logged to your syslog).

Dmesg prints the kernel's log buffer to the screen. So starting from
the last thing printed, go up and look for lines that may have
something to do with ntfs or diskmapper or read errors from the
physical drives. That should help you figure out what is going on.

Feel free to ask for more help, but please include a more detailed
description of

--
Will Dyson