Art Alexion on 26 Aug 2005 23:36:17 -0000

[PLUG] Connecting a Mac to a Linux server running IP Masq

Here is the setup.

Ubuntu Hoary machine connected to DSL modem.  PPPoE set up to IP Masq.
eth0 is lan. eth1 is DSL modem.

Samba network.

Two windows machines connected.  On windows machines, TCP/IP is
configured manually.

    IP = 192.168.0.1 (or 2)
    Subnet = 255.255.255.0
    Gateway = 192.168.0.3 (which is the Ubuntu machine's IP)

They work fine.

New iBook G4 -- family's first Mac

    First tried setting up Ubuntu as a DHCP server.  Thought this would
    help the Mac configure itself.  No go.  Couldn't connect.
    Then tried manual configuration using the same settings as the
    windows machines, except IP = 192.168.0.4.  Still no go.

Mac Finder "sees" alexion.com domain and the windows and Linux
computers.  No trouble browsing windows shares, but searches endlessly
for Linux shares.

I had no trouble setting this up with the windows machines.  This is
really blowing my beliefs that Macs were *easier* to configure.

Am I missing something very basic?

Do I need to at the Mac to the Linux machine's host list?

Would it help to see my dhcpd.conf file?

Is the Mac's implementation of SMB conflicting with Ubuntu's?

--

Art Alexion

The attachment -- signature.asc -- is my electronic signature; no need for alarm.
Info @ http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/signature.asc.what.html

Key for signed PDFs available at
http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/ArthurSAlexion.p7c