Art Alexion on 28 Aug 2005 12:51:32 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Connecting a Mac to a Linux server running IP Masq

Art Alexion wrote:

>Am I missing something very basic?
>
>Do I need to add the Mac to the Linux machine's host list?

I did this and it seems to help it work, but...

>Would it help to see my dhcpd.conf file?

I did some tweaking here, and reconnected the iBook and it configured
itself via DHCP, but...

William H. Magill wrote:

> On 26 Aug, 2005, at 19:38, Art Alexion intoned:
>
>> Is the Mac's implementation of SMB conflicting with Ubuntu's?
>

> Most probably yes.
>
> SMB is not SMB. Apple plays well with Microsoft's SMB.
> It has  been tweaked to do so.

I can now establish an Internet connection on the iBook, but having
trouble with certain sites.  Some pop up instantly (google, CNN), others
load slowly (BBC, Apple), and others (most) won't load at all (Yahoo,
OpenOffice.org).  I'm thinking this is a DNS issue, but I pointed the
iBook to the same Verizon DNS servers that are working fine on the
Ubuntu and win2k machines.

What else could be wrong?

BTW, Apple Care says get a router (because they think it is an issue
with Ubuntu, not the iBook).

--

Art Alexion

The attachment -- signature.asc -- is my electronic signature; no need for alarm.
Info @ http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/signature.asc.what.html

Key for signed PDFs available at
http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/ArthurSAlexion.p7c