Tom Hornberger on 7 Oct 2005 01:16:22 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Way OT: Region-free DVD player?

On Thursday 06 October 2005 15:53, George Gallen wrote:
> I think most "newer" DVD players are region free. Supposedly,
> you can change your DVD player from one region to another, but
>    only once or twice, then it's locked out for good.
>
> the quality of the picture should be pretty much the same, just
>    functionality would be the deciding factor (bells and whistles).
>
> Our DVD was one of the no-name $80.00 (2 years ago), it's been working
>    fine (I believe it's region free).
>
> George

<snip>
I have 2 Apex Digital AD-1500 DVD Players.  Cost about $75 2 years ago.  I
reflashed the firmware in the units myself mainly so I could by a British DVD
(region 2) of a movie that was not available at a reasonable price in a
region 1 DVD.  I haven't tried any other non-Region 1 disks.

HTH,
Tom