Mark M. Hoffman on 11 Oct 2005 00:18:38 -0000

Re: [PLUG] exim4 and HELO host

Hi Jeff:

Sorry to jump into the thread late, was AFK for a few days...

* Jeff Abrahamson <jeff@purple.com> [2005-10-09 13:01:50 -0400]:
> On Sat, Oct 08, 2005 at 11:33:22AM -0400, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> >   [35 lines, 183 words, 1237 characters]  Top characters: etosaniu
> >
> > Drexel.edu has begun refusing email from me because I am saying
> >
> >     HELO astra.purple.com
> >
> > The name astra is my local machine's name but is (correctly) not
> > listed in outside DNS (astra=192.168.0.7).  I've been googling all
> > morning to figure out what to do, but no luck.  Any suggestions?
> > (This is debian sarge.)
>
> Thanks to all who responded.
>
> The solution, it turns out, is to add the following line to the config:
>
>     primary_hostname = puddle.purple.com

I had a similar problem some months ago (except I use postfix).  I found
out (by watching with ethereal) that Thunderbird just says:

	EHLO [127.0.0.1]

So I modified /etc/postfix/main.cf to this:

	smtp_helo_name = [10.17.17.3]

...and all was working again.  Question to email gurus: is there anything
wrong with that?

Regards,

--
Mark M. Hoffman