Tom Diehl on 11 Oct 2005 02:52:33 -0000

[PLUG] Re: exim4 and HELO host

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005, Mark M. Hoffman wrote:

> Hi Jeff:
>
> Sorry to jump into the thread late, was AFK for a few days...
>
> * Jeff Abrahamson <jeff@purple.com> [2005-10-09 13:01:50 -0400]:
> > On Sat, Oct 08, 2005 at 11:33:22AM -0400, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> > >   [35 lines, 183 words, 1237 characters]  Top characters: etosaniu
> > >
> > > Drexel.edu has begun refusing email from me because I am saying
> > >
> > >     HELO astra.purple.com
> > >
> > > The name astra is my local machine's name but is (correctly) not
> > > listed in outside DNS (astra=192.168.0.7).  I've been googling all
> > > morning to figure out what to do, but no luck.  Any suggestions?
> > > (This is debian sarge.)
> >
> > Thanks to all who responded.
> >
> > The solution, it turns out, is to add the following line to the config:
> >
> >     primary_hostname = puddle.purple.com
>
> I had a similar problem some months ago (except I use postfix).  I found
> out (by watching with ethereal) that Thunderbird just says:
>
> 	EHLO [127.0.0.1]

Remember MUA != MTA.

> So I modified /etc/postfix/main.cf to this:
>
> 	smtp_helo_name = [10.17.17.3]
>
> ...and all was working again.  Question to email gurus: is there anything
> wrong with that?

If you relay your mail through your ISP and they are happy then no there is
no problem. If you send all of your mail directly, then you will have problems
because a lot of mail servers will not accept mail from servers that do not
have a fully qualified helo. Some will some will not. Suggest fixing your dns
and setting an fqdn helo.

Regards,

Tom Diehl		tdiehl@rogueind.com		Spamtrap address mtd123@rogueind.com