Cosmin Nicolaescu on 3 Nov 2005 16:27:31 -0000

Re: [PLUG] mail headers - Thunderbird filters

On Thu, November 3, 2005 8:20 am, Stephen Gran wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 08:14:34AM -0500, Art Alexion said:
>> To deal with spam that is predated, I am trying to set up a message
>> filter (in Thunderbird) that compares the "sent date" with the "received
>> date".  Looking at some headers, there doesn't seemed to be any header
>> that would accurately report the received date.  Is such info obscured
>> in another header?

>         (art.alexion@verizon.net@151.197.27.26 with plain)
>         by smtp102.vzn.mail.dcn.yahoo.com with SMTP; 3 Nov 2005 13:14:37
> -0000
>
> This ought to do what you're looking for, but be careful - different
> MTA's construct received headers lsightly differently, and you'll need
> to figure out a way to compensate for timezone changes.
>
> I suggest just letting spamassassin handle this, as it already hass rule
> for this.
> --
>  --------------------------------------------------------------------------
> |  Stephen Gran                  | Lonesome?  Like a change? Like a new
> |
> |  steve@lobefin.net             | job? Like excitement? Like to meet new
> |
> |  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | and interesting people?  JUST SCREW-UP
> |
> |                                | ONE MORE TIME!!!!!!!

You also have to deal with delayed mail. While spamassassin deals with
this, it is a VERY big hammer to bring for this.

My suggestion when dealing with spam is still bayesian filtering. I set up
spamprove on my server, and withing 2 weeks my spam dropped by 98%. The
false positives were reduced to 1% after the first 3 weeks. It's totally
worth it, and in spamprobe's case the CPU usage is very low.

-Cos

--
GPG key fingerprint = DE9F 4664 E666 2BD1 903E  4F4D EA31 5FB1 C7F9 08C1