high_desert on 2 Dec 2005 01:12:34 -0000

RE: [PLUG] New Linux Machines and cloning?

--> Each of these machines will have mirrored drives.
--> Can I install the OS on the first machine and then at some
--> point detach the mirror and place this second drive into the
--> next workstation boot up the system and attach and synch the
--> drives on the second workstation and repeat the process for all
--> the system on which I have to install the OS.

What was wrong with the post's original plan?

Assuming hardware RAID and ability to boot the OS from either one solo half
of the mirror pair it seems to me it would work fine.

For example with SCSI drives you could point the SCSI controller to boot off
either half of the mirror and the MBR should be mirrored on both. Otherwise
prob a floppy boot and then fixing stuff should potentially work. (Breaking
and) reassociating the mirror with it's new other half either under SW or HW
RAID should clear up system confusion over drive signatures...