Jeff Abrahamson on 4 Feb 2006 18:29:09 -0000

Re: [PLUG] /proc/crypto/cipher

On Sat, Feb 04, 2006 at 12:42:18PM -0500, Brian Epstein wrote:
>   [37 lines, 225 words, 1503 characters]  Top characters: etainosr
>
> On Sat, 4 Feb 2006, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
>
> > Of course, I couldn't run rsync (efficiently), but for things that
> > don't change alot (read: not most mbox files), I could write a small
>
> Hrm, I use rsync when I do my backups in a similar situation.  I just
> use an attached USB drive to house my files.  For another physically
> attached disk, you can use the partition instead of a loopback file.

The problem is that the efficiency of rsync comes from the server
running remotely, where it has fast access, and so easily computing
checksums and sending only the checksums over the wire.  It it has to
access the whole file, it will take a while over, say, a DSL line and
a 100 GB partition.  But a 100 GB partition with a remote rsync
process is very fast.

It's still good for checking consistency, since it does still compute
checksums.

> > Or sfs, in which case even the traffic to the server is encrypted!
>
> True.  Although when using this solution in the corporate (M$)
> environment usually proves futile.  Usually you are at the mercy of
> Bill Gates and have to get around it.
>
> For the people who need to access a fileserver I have at work from
> their windows laptops, I have them mount the samba shares over an
> ssh pipe.  This gives them the network privacy that they want
> without having to do too many extra steps.
>
> Haven't played with SFS, but I intend to.  Thanks for the great
> reference.

I have been sfs-mounting my work (university) home directory at home
for a couple years now.  It's been very reliable and smooth.

--
 Jeff

 Jeff Abrahamson  <http://www.purple.com/jeff/>    +1 215/837-2287