Stephen Gran on 7 Feb 2006 23:03:40 -0000

Re: [PLUG] CD tray keeps opening randomly

On Tue, Feb 07, 2006 at 10:19:21AM -0500, Art Alexion said:
> Stephen Gran wrote:
>
> >On Tue, Feb 07, 2006 at 08:37:57AM -0500, Art Alexion said:
> >

> >>It is getting worse and worse.  It used to only happen when there was
> >>media in the tray, but now it happens sometimes when it is empty, too.
> >>It happens in the middle of ripping a CD.  It doesn't yet happen in the
> >>middle of an audio burn, but it does happen during the 'verify' phase of
> >>a data burn.
> >>

> >What wm/desktop environment are you running?  I know several of them now
> >do helpful things behind your back like poll for new hardware or poll
> >for new cd media.  Perhaps hal or one of those is confusing your cd into
> >opening?
> >
> >Just a shot in the dark,
> >

> I think this is it because it started happening when I updated KDE to
> 3.4.3.  I can install 3.5.1, but I'm not sure whether it will fix more
> 3.4.3 problems or break things that are currently working.

Possible culprits: hal, udev, fam, gamin, and whatever that damn thing
in KDE is that pops up a window when a disk is inserted or a drive is
plugged in.  As a semi diagnostic point, you could try each in turn, and
see if your problems persist.

Good luck,
|  Stephen Gran                  | What a COINCIDENCE!  I'm an authorized  |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | "SNOOTS OF THE STARS" dealer!!          |