Jeff Abrahamson on 26 Apr 2006 15:32:22 -0000

Re: [PLUG] firewire errors (non-fatal)

On Wed, Apr 26, 2006 at 08:35:00AM +0100, Stephen Gran wrote:
>   [49 lines, 271 words, 1865 characters]  Top characters: -etosain
>
> On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 05:30:09PM -0400, Jeff Abrahamson said:
> > On Sun, Apr 23, 2006 at 03:11:54PM +0100, Stephen Gran wrote:
> > > Make a new file:
> > > /etc/modutils/name-does-not-matter
> > > add
> > > options $module_name $variable=$value
> > >
> > > so in your case something like:
> > > options sb2 serialize_io=1
> > >
> > > Then run update-modules.  rmmod the module, and reload, and it should be
> > > loaded with the new options.  /sbin/modinfo $module gives the full list
> > > of options a module supports (hopefully).
> >
> > Hmm.  I did this, and now I see this:
> >
> >     jeff@astra:etc $ grep sbp modules.conf
> >     ### update-modules: start processing /etc/modutils/sbp2-hack
> >     options sbp2 serialize_io=1
> >     ### update-modules: end processing /etc/modutils/sbp2-hack
> >     jeff@astra:etc $
> >
> > Yet I also see this:
> >
> >     jeff@astra:etc $ cat /sys/module/sbp2/parameters/serialize_io
> >     0
> >     jeff@astra:etc $
> >
> > I have rebooted even since the modutils change.
>
> That shouldn't be necessary.  Just rmmod, and modprobe should pick
> up the change.

It shouldn't, but it happened that I rebooted for some reason, so the
kernel certainly should have picked up the option.  Nothing in the log
suggested that it saw an option it didn't like.

Modprobe really doesn't like removing sbp2.  Although nothing should
be using the module as far as I can see, I still get this:

    astra:/home/jeff# modprobe -r sbp2
    FATAL: Module sbp2 is in use.
    astra:/home/jeff#

This is all very strange.  I wish I could know what the module is
thinking when it comes up and configures.

> > Any thought what I might be doing wrong?
>
> /etc/sysctl.conf:
> module.sbp2.parameters.serialize_io = 1
>
> It's another way of doing it.  I am not sure if it will work, but
> it's worth a shot.  No reboot necessary, just run sysctl, and rmmod
> and modprobe again.  I am a little confused as to why the first way
> didn't get it right - modules.conf is supposed to be honored by
> modprobe, and if it's not, that's decidedly odd.

I tried that.  The contents of
/sys/module/sbp2/parameters/serialize_io are still 0.  I still get I/O
errors.

An interesting aside, I tested the drive on a machine at work.
(Forgot to note the kernel version.)  The kernel there automatically
sensed that serialize_io=1 was necessary.  Very nice.  On that machine
(with serialize_io=1) I was able to tar most of the drive contents to
/dev/null without a single I/O error.

--
 Jeff

 Jeff Abrahamson  <http://jeff.purple.com/>          +1 215/837-2287