Andrew Libby on 22 May 2006 13:39:44 -0000

Re: [PLUG] LDAP Question

While I'd not recommend direct root logins, I think you can ssh to each
machine and use the
--stdin parameter to passwd to change the passwords.  Since you're going
to touch every machine
anyway to change root passwords, consider brokering root access with
sudo.  Then nobody will
need to know the root password, no remote root logins, and if someone
must leave the "root fold"
you don't need to change a whole bunch of passwords all over the place.
When root privileges are
revoked for a user, you just remove them from the wheel group (or what
ever group implies
their advanced access).

IMO it's worth consideration.

Andy