Art Alexion on 24 May 2006 17:54:07 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Re: Changing DSL setup

On Wednesday 24 May 2006 09:56, gyoza@comcast.net wrote:
> I don't think you understand the function of the hub.  It's just a
> repeater.  It doesn't do anything except physically connect the LAN
> together.

Perhaps, but because the router/gateways seems to do more, even with the local
addressing, I need to understand how to work with a piece of hardware that
does do something other than just connect.  My specific questions:

> Before I eliminate the hub, I want to make sure that the
> LAN is using the gateway and not the hub.
>
> What command can I use to best determine which route local traffic is
> taking?
>
> If local traffic is now using the hub, how can I force it to use the
> gateway instead?
>
> The existing LAN -- and presumably the hub -- is using hardcoded /etc/hosts
> addresses. (192.168.0.x) The gateway is assigning addresses dynamically
> (range 192.168.1.[2-64] -- the gateway itself uses the address
> 192.168.1.1).
>
> What changes do I need to make to the hosts file or other configuration so
> that local traffic uses the dynamically assigned address in the 192.168.1.
> [2-64] range?

Art Alexion
Arthur S. Alexion LLC

alarm.