W. Chris Shank on 25 May 2006 02:04:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Re: Speakeasy/COVAD outages yesterday

I'm using speakeasy and have referred about 30 of my customers to them. I had a very persistent problem with our netopia T1 router that was ultimately fixed by switching to a siemans routers (had to get a brand new netopia before they would believe me). This proble occured after very high traffic sustained over a very long time. Somehow the connection between WAN & LAN would degrade, initially with long delays and eventually completely break down. Power cycling was the only solution. We've had the siemans for 3 months and haven't touched it. So it was definately something with that model netopia.

I wasn't thrilled with the tech support during the process only because they kept saying it was a traffic problem even when there was little traffic. I had to be very persistent to get it resolved.

As for outages, I haven't had any major problems in 2 years and i have customers using them all over the general area.

We also have customers using XO, USLEC, and ATX. I've got probably 5 times more speakeasy than the other 3 combined. The other 3 have had many more problems for us. However, it may be that the sample size isn't large enough.

my $0.02

----- Original Message -----
From: Tom Diehl <tdiehl@rogueind.com>
To: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
Sent: Wednesday, May 24, 2006 6:39:42 PM GMT-0500
Subject: [PLUG] Re: Speakeasy/COVAD outages yesterday

On Wed, 24 May 2006, Ben Dugan wrote:

> I'd like to share notes with any Speakeasy and/or COVAD users who had
> outages yesterday (Tuesday the 23rd). I've been a happy Speakeasy
> customer but we've had two 6-8 hour outages in about 1 week, and I'm
> starting to worry that the service is degrading.
>
> Please respond off-list; I doubt if everyone here is interested.

Responding on list because many people here also have Speakeasy.

FWIW, I have been on Speakeasy/Covad for over 4 years now. I have proactive
monitoring turned on and the last outage it recorded was on 05/03/2006. That
was a scheduled outage that they notified me about a week in advance. They
said it could be up to 4 hrs. In reality it was less than an hour.

Neither their monitoring or mine detected any outages since the 3rd.

Maybe it is something local to your area.

Regards,

Tom Diehl                tdiehl@rogueind.com                Spamtrap address mtd123@rogueind.com

W. Chris Shank
ACE Technology Group, LLC