Lee Marzke on 29 May 2006 18:36:41 -0000

Re: [PLUG] iomega REV drive on Debian

Now that I've switched to the Debian kernel-image-2.6.8-k7 kernel my External
Iomega REV UDF drive works great. ( the 2.4 kernel always mounted it ro )

Howerver, I've just discovered that my IDE drives are all missing !

Note: I just found the solution while typing this -> see below.  Maybe
this can help someone else.  Why am I having so many problem with
Debian stable and simple IDE and USB devices ?

The system boots from an Adaptec IDE raid board that appears as 1
SCSI drive, which works.  But my  /dev/hda boot disk  and cdrom are
not detected, and no /dev files exist anymore.

I found this link which may help.

http://www.justlinux.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140380&goto=nextoldest
I've confirmed that the ide-detect ( or ide-probe ) modules are missing

The IDE driver with the 2.4 kernel works, and is a SIS5513,  and I found the
following:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2005/01/msg00704.html

So after doing a rmmod  sis5513,  and modprobe ide-generic.   the IDE
drives FINALLY worked !

Lee Marzke

K.S. Bhaskar wrote:
Lee --