Doug Crompton on 30 May 2006 00:06:04 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Re: Speakeasy/COVAD outages yesterday

Yes DCAnet is DHCP/MAC address. I would expect that for most home
customers it would never be a problem. What I do here is split the output
of the modem with a four port switch and feed it to seperate DSL routers.
The output of the routers is then recombined. So the resulting network has
access to all assigned IP's. This could be differnet masks of a 192.168
network or all in the same mask. You just have only one doing DHCP to the
network. Since I primarily use static for any fixed device this is never a
problem. The GW I select (for static assignments) determines what IP that
device goes out on.

Now a bigger concern is the future of DSL. I am afraid that Verizon will
stop supporting it at some point. I am in a FIOS area and I have no
intention of switching until or if I can be assured that I would be able
to have static and unlimited access. My last call to DCAnet was negative
on that. They are upset at the under cutting Verizon has done with DSL and
it did not seem like they would support FIOS even if verizon would let
that happen, which is unlikely.

I see two companies supplying internet, Comcast and Verizon, and the
little guys eventually giving up. Then once they have it locked up they
will control VOIP also!!!  Scary thought.

Doug

On Mon, 29 May 2006, Tom Diehl wrote:

> On Mon, 29 May 2006, Doug Crompton wrote:
>
> > I am curious how much you (all) pay for Speakeasy? I pay $44/month - 6
> > static with DCAnet. When I check a year or more ago Speakeasy was
> > significantly more. DCAnet has been very relaible here.
>
> Yes they are typically more. IIRC their residential accounts start at about
> $60.00/mo. I currently have a 1.5/1.5 SDSL business account from them so
> comparing my rates would be useless.
>
> I know people have said that DCAnet gives static ip addresses but I seem to
> remember some people saying they were DHCP assigned only. If that is correct
> that would be a major drawback for me. I typically have all of my static
> ip addresses assigned to 1 physical NIC and the use iptables to make them
> do the right thing.
>
> With Speakeasy they are true static addresses. For some it does not matter,
> for others it does.
>
> Regards,
>
> Tom Diehl		tdiehl@rogueind.com		Spamtrap address mtd123@rogueind.com

"Those that sacrifice essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
 deserve neither liberty nor safety."  -- Ben Franklin (1759)

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
*  215-431-6307		   *
* doug@crompton.com        *